Old 07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Tom Line

Default I need rose planting ideas.

You need something in the back corner like a wooden bench with a slatted
timber cover over it to give the eye something to look at. Put a big
friggin huge climbing rose on it. It shouldn't be centered but kind of
facing the center of the opposite wall where you should have a concrete
bench for people to sit on and have a less noisy private conversation when
you have a cook-out. I'd keep the roses away from the bench so people
don't get stung when they're sitting. I'd recommend a bird bath, and a
simple board on a stick bird feeder in the middle of the tea roses on the
upper right of the picture. Put a Mr. Lincoln at the base of the bird
feeder. No plastic or paint please. The wood bench in the slat covered
alcove could double as a platform to sit clay potted plants on too.
I must admit I'm lost on what do to about the central grassy region as I'm
not from the South West. I would recommend some kind of drip irrigation
around the perimeter though. Ultimately, you don't want to plant stuff
that requires constant water maintenance or it dies.

|-------------------|
|alcove tea |
| / roses |
|/ |
| |
|tea B |
|roses e |
| n |
|shrub c |
|rose h |
| |
| |
| |
| grill |
********************
PATIO chairs
table
********************
HOUSE

Emil wrote:
: Hi everybody!
:
: Long time no post, :-) How is everybody doing? I still read the newsgroup
: daily, but haven't had time to post.
: I am in Zones 9-10,(Southern, CA). There is this part of grass in my
: backyard, where the grass won't grow well unless I water with 234234 gallons
: of water. :-(
: So, time to take the grass out, besides who likes grass?!
:
: The space is 6.5 feet by 16 feet. I need some ideas about how to make the
: area look nice. How many roses can I put in that area? Should I use
: decorative rock? Should I make a path through the middle, so I can walk
: through and prune roses? Should I kill the grass with chemicals, or remove
: them without chemicals?
: What would YOU do if it was your project?
:
: Here is a pic of looking at the area through the kitchen window:
: http://www.dodgetrucks.org/home/emil/Grass%201.JPG
:
: Pic looking at area from yard:
: http://www.dodgetrucks.org/home/emil/Grass%202.JPG