Old 07-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Susan Erickson

Default an outgrowth from a spike

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:21:02 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Hi Reka, Yes, I was thinking the same thing? Trying to think of some clever
Math wording here for Sue, but
it's too early ......(the power of the square root is than that which = ?)
But I suppose it's better to be safer than sorry?
I think the secret is in staking the baby plant so that it feels secure!
Cheers Wendy

I will admit to maybe enlarging 'root mass index.' I don't feel
secure at 2-3". I did not realize I had increased it that much.
You are right 6 is a bit much.

As Wendy says. "The SECRET is in Staking the keiki securely."
All orchids want to be secure in the pot. We used to pack them
in so tightly that immediately after potting you could pick up
the plant and pot by the plant leaves. This is damaging to
delicate roots. Secure is better defined as not moving when set
down and no longer supported by you. So tap the pot on the side
and against the table to settle the mix in around the roots.
Even water it in gently. But do not force the potting media down
around the roots with direct pressure. If the plant is 'potted'
but not secure, use a pot clip or tie it to the hanger or stake
with in the pot.
My vote on a keiki that is on an old spike is to leave it
attached, pot the roots up and use a wire staple or pot-clip to
tie the small plant to the pot. Now find a way to support the
small pot at the height the spike carries it. This is much the
way you take layered cuttings from shrubs. After a couple of
months the keiki will be established in the pot and the shock of
removing it from the main plant will be lessened.

Is that better girls. Nothing like getting Both CA and Italy on
the same page. G
SuE