Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Kenni Judd

Default an outgrowth from a spike

We just leave them alone, other than staking the spike to hold the baby(ies)
up. Very striking, when the mother plant and 2-3 keikis all bloom at once

Despite our high humidity, we cannot grow adult phals here, bareroot, unless
we water 2x daily in the summer, but for whatever reason, the keikis
attached to a mature potted parent do just fine on our regular watering
schedule, despite having their roots dangling in mid-air. In a
lower-humidity environment, if you find the need, stuff a little sphagnum
around and among the keiki's roots as they begin to form, tie it off with a
raffia bow and you'll still have a pretty presentation.

If you do separate it, give it the same clonal name as the mother plant's
[give the mother plant one if it doesn't already have it]. Theoretically,
it is the same as a mericlone, but a vegetative division is even truer,
since variations and mutations do sometimes occur in the cloning process, in
practice [every theory I've ever met worked better on paper than in practice
:(].

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"the moke monster" wrote in message
I have a phal orchid that has been blooming for 18 months and now it has
what appears to be a clone or new plant growing out of an old spike.
With leaves and its own roots! It is an indoor plant here in Seattle,
but I put it out in the summer.

Is this part of the same plant? A new plant? A separate clone (same
DNA)?

Can it be separated? Should it be separated? (those little roots are
hanging in mid air)

Thanks.

George