Old 08-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Monique Reed

Default Surprised by cucumbers, part II

Thanks. Yup, I know how to google, but I don't know anyone who has
ever actually *eaten* a kiwano and liked it, so I was hoping for
first-hand experience. I think they taste like something that's not
ripe, just sort of green and a little tart. Not sweet enough to be
fruity and not vegetable-y enough to be a veggie. They look cool,
though.

Monique

wrote:

Ah. I looked these up:

http://cheneybrothers.com/kiwano.shtm

http://www.melissas.com/newsletter/100.htm

Here's a whole lot of info on them, but no recipes:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/c...wano.html#Uses

This source says the fruit 'lacks taste' and is 'eaten as a
supplement'.

Two recipes are he

http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/exoticfruits.shtml

Another recipes:

http://www.melissas.com/recipes/index.cfm?Recipe_ID=873

This one above is for a raita, and it sounds really good to
me.

I've seen them in supermarkets and never knew what they
were, much less how to use them. Next time I see them, I'll
buy one... However, now that I know what they are, I'll
probably never see them again in the stores...

You know, the supermarkets really ought to have a printed
sheet with explanations and recipes for the 'exotics' - I
think they'd sell more of them if they did.

If you want more recipes, you can Google like this (note
punctuation):

"horned melon" + recipe

OR

kiwano + recipe

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/