Old 08-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Monique Reed

Default Surprised by cucumbers, part II

Now that the fruits on this vine are a little larger, it's obvious
these boogers aren't going to be cukes. The foliage is exactly like
cucumber. The fruits started out small and pimply as cukes will, but
they're growing up fat, mottled, and with definite tubercles and
horns.

They're kiwano melons! The laugh's on me. My compost heap gets all the
leftover props from our college-level Economic Botany lab, so it's
full of exotic propagules. Since I had a taro root sprout last year,
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find kiwanos. Apparently zone 8b
is just fine for them.

I've tasted them and don't care for them as is. Does anyone have a
good recipe?

Monique Reed
College Station
Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:09:47 -0500, Monique Reed
wrote:

They're kiwano melons! The laugh's on me. My compost heap gets all the
leftover props from our college-level Economic Botany lab, so it's
full of exotic propagules. Since I had a taro root sprout last year,
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find kiwanos. Apparently zone 8b
is just fine for them.

I've tasted them and don't care for them as is. Does anyone have a
good recipe?

Ah. I looked these up:

http://cheneybrothers.com/kiwano.shtm

http://www.melissas.com/newsletter/100.htm

Here's a whole lot of info on them, but no recipes:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/c...wano.html#Uses

This source says the fruit 'lacks taste' and is 'eaten as a
supplement'.

Two recipes are he

http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/exoticfruits.shtml

Another recipes:

http://www.melissas.com/recipes/index.cfm?Recipe_ID=873

This one above is for a raita, and it sounds really good to
me.

I've seen them in supermarkets and never knew what they
were, much less how to use them. Next time I see them, I'll
buy one... However, now that I know what they are, I'll
probably never see them again in the stores...

You know, the supermarkets really ought to have a printed
sheet with explanations and recipes for the 'exotics' - I
think they'd sell more of them if they did.

If you want more recipes, you can Google like this (note
punctuation):

"horned melon" + recipe

OR

kiwano + recipe

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 08-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Monique Reed

Thanks. Yup, I know how to google, but I don't know anyone who has
ever actually *eaten* a kiwano and liked it, so I was hoping for
first-hand experience. I think they taste like something that's not
ripe, just sort of green and a little tart. Not sweet enough to be
fruity and not vegetable-y enough to be a veggie. They look cool,
though.

Monique

Old 08-10-2003, 03:42 PM

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:22:11 -0500, Monique Reed
wrote:

Thanks. Yup, I know how to google, but I don't know anyone who has
ever actually *eaten* a kiwano and liked it, so I was hoping for
first-hand experience. I think they taste like something that's not
ripe, just sort of green and a little tart. Not sweet enough to be
fruity and not vegetable-y enough to be a veggie. They look cool,
though.

They sure do. Very weird.

Pat