Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Larry Bud

Default Robomower

wrote in message ...
Bry wrote:
I've seen both the floor cleaner and mower type robots before, and I'm
starting to think they could be a good idea. The only major concern I
have is just how automated they are. Would I need to plug it in myself
or can it connect to the power for charging by itself? Do I have to
tell it to cut the lawn, or can I just set a dial and it cuts it every
Monday by itself? In an ideal situation, I just set it up once - then
forget about it.

No, it isn't that friggin easy. You have to bury a wire first.

Actually, it can be that easy. Note that I have hte Robomower, but
Husqvarna makes one that's the ferrari of robotic mowers.

First, you don't have to bury the wire, you just have to stake it down
close to the ground. Eventually the grass grows right over it. After
a month or so, I went around and tapped the stakes in a little more
because the wire had settled closer to the earth.

I wrote a review a while back on the mower, so I won't go over it
again.

http://tinyurl.com/q6fo

Anyway, the Husqvarna version is much more expensive, but you CAN
program it so it goes and cuts your lawn on a schedule, and it will
even find its way back to the charging station and recharge itself
automatically. I would guess you'd want to have some sort of
storage/recharge area that it could automatically go into without
having to open a door (garage door, for example).

I find that it's no big deal however to put it out to pasture
yourself; takes literally a minute to drive the thing out inside my
perimeter wire and push two buttons. This thing rocks!