Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Joe Hurst

Default Favorite ground cover for shade

Amongst the many available, I like Sweet Woodruff quite a bit.
It gets nearly covered in tiny white flowers in Spring, and stays a
healthy looking green all Summer with sort of starry leaves.
It spreads well. Maybe it spreads too well; in one spot I had to put
plastic lawn edging in the ground to stop it from overrunnig the
primrose.

Like Paggers says, the cyclamen are pleasing this time of year;
especially if they are in a location that you walk by or sit near.

Joe
Ontario

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:37:52 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

"Favorites" shift from season to season, & from mood to mood. But with the
Cyclamen hederofoliums blooming all over the place right now, & the
promise of Cyclamen coum blooms come winter, my favorite autumn/winter
groundcover seems to be, at the moment, cyclamens. They thrive in dry
shade right up near the bases of trees, &amp we have such a wide variety
of colorful leaf-types so that even when they stop blooming they're still
just amazing.

For a pleasing little evergreen groundcover I'm terribly fond of asarum
wild gingers. They need damper shade than do cyclamens & take a long time
to spread out, but once they take off, they're just too cool.

-paghat the ratgirl