Old 19-09-2003, 02:03 AM
animaux

Default Favorite ground cover for shade

In Texas there are several native ground covers which are wonderful. By common
name and botanical name if known:

Incisa -frogfruit
Ruellia
horse herb

those are three reliable bloomers all season from late may till frost, and
beyond.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:33:07 -0400, "LeeAnne"
opined:

yeah, it is ugly in the fall - but to me the wonderful smell is worth it.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .

I planted LOV near the edge of a wooded area. It is spreading in the
direction of more heavily shaded areas (which surprised me). It is
doing much better than the Pachysandra, but the LOV looks rather ugly
in the fall. The aroma of the sping flowers is intense (my mother's
favorite).

Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Steve

The best I have found is "mazus reptans". It is a dense low growth ground
cover (2 inches high - max) that thrives in damp shady areas.

Good luck.

"Chris Owens" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

I live in Ohio and have several shaded areas where I would like to put
in ground cover and I just wanted to make sure I've thought of them all.
So far I have English Ivy and Periwinkle. The ivy is great, and the
periwinkle is beautiful, but it is very prone to fungus from moisture -
and the shade doesn't help dry up that!

So what are your suggestions?

-kim

Epididymus, heuchera, dwarf astilbe, lily of the valley, jack in
the pulpit. On the whole, I'd be careful with the ivy; it isn't
a good match with trees or structures.

Chris Owens

Old 08-10-2003, 02:42 AM
paghat

"Favorites" shift from season to season, & from mood to mood. But with the
Cyclamen hederofoliums blooming all over the place right now, & the
promise of Cyclamen coum blooms come winter, my favorite autumn/winter
groundcover seems to be, at the moment, cyclamens. They thrive in dry
shade right up near the bases of trees, &amp we have such a wide variety
of colorful leaf-types so that even when they stop blooming they're still
just amazing.

For a pleasing little evergreen groundcover I'm terribly fond of asarum
wild gingers. They need damper shade than do cyclamens & take a long time
to spread out, but once they take off, they're just too cool.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Joe Hurst

Amongst the many available, I like Sweet Woodruff quite a bit.
It gets nearly covered in tiny white flowers in Spring, and stays a
healthy looking green all Summer with sort of starry leaves.
It spreads well. Maybe it spreads too well; in one spot I had to put
plastic lawn edging in the ground to stop it from overrunnig the
primrose.

Like Paggers says, the cyclamen are pleasing this time of year;
especially if they are in a location that you walk by or sit near.

Joe
Ontario