Old 08-10-2003, 08:12 PM
mmdeaton

Default Starting new lawn -- squirrels

In my experience, birds and squirrels will eat any seed they can find.
Commerical lawn firms spray newly seeded lawns with a green mulching
material that seems designed to not only hold moisture, but to prevent the
problem you are speaking of. You might want to contact a service in your
area and ask if they can point you to a supplier.

--
Mary Deaton
Graduate Assistant

http://catalyst.washington.edu
"steve" wrote in message
I am trying to start a new lawn. I am having a problem with squirrels
eating all the grass seed. I put some peat-moss on top of the seed to no
avail. They dig in the yard while nobody's home to take the seed.

Does anyone have any methods to keep squirrels from eating the seeds? I'm
not sure, but birds might be eating the seed as well.

Thanks for any advice.