Old 06-10-2003, 12:02 AM
steve

Default Starting new lawn -- squirrels

I am trying to start a new lawn. I am having a problem with squirrels
eating all the grass seed. I put some peat-moss on top of the seed to no
avail. They dig in the yard while nobody's home to take the seed.

Does anyone have any methods to keep squirrels from eating the seeds? I'm
not sure, but birds might be eating the seed as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:22 AM
JNJ

I am trying to start a new lawn. I am having a problem with squirrels
eating all the grass seed. I put some peat-moss on top of the seed to no
avail. They dig in the yard while nobody's home to take the seed.

Does anyone have any methods to keep squirrels from eating the seeds? I'm
not sure, but birds might be eating the seed as well.

Squirrels eating the seed? I doubt it -- squirrels do not usually for such
tiny morsels. More than likely it's birds eating the seeds and the
squirrels are just digging to see what's under the peat moss/straw/etc. --
they're notorious for digging into new piles and such.

Some solutions:

1) Try putting out some food that the wildlife is permitted to eat.

2) Get a motion activated sprinkler or two -- as soon as anything moves in
front of it, that thing gets a quick squirt of water.

3) Put down sod.

4) Hire a lawn company to do a hydro seeding.

5) Get a couple of cats (of course, you'll later be coming here asking how
to keep them from using your garden beds as litter boxes).

6) Get a couple of dogs (also effective in helping with the cat problem
created in item 5 above).

James

Old 06-10-2003, 03:02 AM
steve

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess it most be the birds that are
actually eating the seeds.

I may give the motion sensored spriklers a try. I have a dog, but he will
do much more damage to the lawn the birds and squirrels if I leave him out.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:12 PM
mmdeaton

In my experience, birds and squirrels will eat any seed they can find.
Commerical lawn firms spray newly seeded lawns with a green mulching
material that seems designed to not only hold moisture, but to prevent the
problem you are speaking of. You might want to contact a service in your
area and ask if they can point you to a supplier.

--
Mary Deaton
Graduate Assistant

http://catalyst.washington.edu
"steve" wrote in message
I am trying to start a new lawn. I am having a problem with squirrels
eating all the grass seed. I put some peat-moss on top of the seed to no
avail. They dig in the yard while nobody's home to take the seed.

Does anyone have any methods to keep squirrels from eating the seeds? I'm
not sure, but birds might be eating the seed as well.

Thanks for any advice.

[IMG] code is On

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Starting a new lawn [email protected] Lawns 3 01-10-2006 07:14 PM
Starting a new lawn? revert Texas 8 10-03-2006 08:40 PM
Starting off a planted tank -- starting one (or maybe) two strikes down.... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-11-2005 01:31 AM
squirrels & new lawn; Help!! jeffrey lohn Gardening 7 22-05-2005 03:25 AM