Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Colin Forsyth

Default Planting Cotoneaster Simonsii

Awaiting delivery of 100 bare root plants (approx 60cm high). Going to be
planting them down the side of a 1m high block wall. The intention once the
hedge is established is to take the wall down and rebuild it about 0.5m with
decorative stone !

Is this feasible or will the presence of the wall restrict growth at the
back of the plant ?

So how wide a border should I prepare for the plants ?

Is it better to dig a hole for each plant or open a trench and backfill as
you move along ?

What sort of treatment should I give to the soil ?

I'm told 12-18" centres is about right, what do you think ?

Any advice appreciated.

Colin Forsyth