Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Colin Forsyth

Default Planting Cotoneaster Simonsii

Awaiting delivery of 100 bare root plants (approx 60cm high). Going to be
planting them down the side of a 1m high block wall. The intention once the
hedge is established is to take the wall down and rebuild it about 0.5m with
decorative stone !

Is this feasible or will the presence of the wall restrict growth at the
back of the plant ?

So how wide a border should I prepare for the plants ?

Is it better to dig a hole for each plant or open a trench and backfill as
you move along ?

What sort of treatment should I give to the soil ?

I'm told 12-18" centres is about right, what do you think ?

Any advice appreciated.

Colin Forsyth

Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Spider

In the early days I doubt the wall would restrict growth - indeed, it may
offer some protection from winter winds and frosts. In spring, when the
plants start to grow away rapidly, I would prefer to see the wall go. It
may not restrict growth at first, but could cause the lee side to produce
softer wood, which might give you a misshapen hedge, as well as being more
vulnerable to pest/fungal attack.

Your border should be as wide as space will allow, tempered by the desired
ultimate width of your hedge. It is infinitely better to open a trench the
length of the hedge than 'pit' plant individuals. The more preparation and
soil improvement, the better. Hopefully, your hedge will be there a long
time, and this is your one chance to make it happy and healthy.

Spider