Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Mexipedium xerophyticum

Mick Fournier wrote:

Do you all remember when mexipedium xerophyticum was the hot new super
"rare" orchid species we all just had to have?... it was the new must-have
fad after Paph sanderianum which came after some other must-have Paph called
something or other... I forgot the name of it.

I think Phrag. besseae was the hot thing before Paph. sanderianum.
Next hot slipper is Phrag peruvianum (or whatever they decided the name
was). Sanderianum got the honor of being a fad twice, separated by
about a hundred years. Name another orchid that gets that honor... Ok,
besides Paph. rothschildianum. For some reason I'm always on the
'getting screwed' end of the fad.... Just once I want the fad to be
something I have a boatload of. Just once...

Ahhhh... the memories of being an orchid junkie once.

I've been an orchid junkie several times.

FWIW, I never had much luck with Mexipedium xerophyticum. Just kind
of hung out in my collection for a couple of years, not growing or
dying. I think I finally killed it somehow, but maybe it is still there
lurking behind a leaf.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit