Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Jonathan Phua

Default Mexipedium xerophyticum

Hi,
I may be getting a mexipedium xerophyticum if it is available. Any tips on
how to grow this plant? Like potting media, fertilizing and watering. Also
how to induce the plant to put out new roots and establish asap since it's a
bare root.

Jon

Old 08-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Do you all remember when mexipedium xerophyticum was the hot new super
"rare" orchid species we all just had to have?... it was the new must-have
fad after Paph sanderianum which came after some other must-have Paph called
something or other... I forgot the name of it.

Ahhhh... the memories of being an orchid junkie once.

Mick

Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Rob Halgren

Mick Fournier wrote:

Do you all remember when mexipedium xerophyticum was the hot new super
"rare" orchid species we all just had to have?... it was the new must-have
fad after Paph sanderianum which came after some other must-have Paph called
something or other... I forgot the name of it.

I think Phrag. besseae was the hot thing before Paph. sanderianum.
Next hot slipper is Phrag peruvianum (or whatever they decided the name
was). Sanderianum got the honor of being a fad twice, separated by
about a hundred years. Name another orchid that gets that honor... Ok,
besides Paph. rothschildianum. For some reason I'm always on the
'getting screwed' end of the fad.... Just once I want the fad to be
something I have a boatload of. Just once...

Ahhhh... the memories of being an orchid junkie once.

I've been an orchid junkie several times.

FWIW, I never had much luck with Mexipedium xerophyticum. Just kind
of hung out in my collection for a couple of years, not growing or
dying. I think I finally killed it somehow, but maybe it is still there
lurking behind a leaf.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 09-10-2003, 06:22 AM
tennis maynard

Jonathan Phua wrote:
Hi,
I may be getting a mexipedium xerophyticum if it is available. Any tips on
how to grow this plant? Like potting media, fertilizing and watering. Also
how to induce the plant to put out new roots and establish asap since it's a
bare root.

Jon

Mine was a little tiny 2" seedling when I got it. I put it in cattleya
light, and failed to give it as much water as I thought it would want.
It became a monster, about 15 growths when I broke off a piece 3 years
later for a friend, and was back at 15 growths a year later. So my
advice is cattleya light, and let it dry out between waterings. If you
look at one carefully, they almost look like a succulent with its thick
leaves.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Mick Fournier

Reka,

Oh, the same old boring things I guess... wine, Russian women and money.

Mick

Old 09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Reka

So it's "women" now, eh? ;-)
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
"Mick Fournier" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
Reka,

Oh, the same old boring things I guess... wine, Russian women and money.

Mick

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).