Old 09-10-2003, 12:36 AM
LizR

Default overwintering

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:07:36 +0100, "Jabber" wrote:

Help please on the best way to overwinter geraniums and fuchsias, do I cut
off all growth? last year after potting up carefully and keeping in an
unheated room I lost all the fuchsias but did keep a few geraniums.
Labour saving ideas welcome. Thanks

Fuchsias, they reckon, you have to leave in the garden if they're hardy, as they do
less well in pots. Mine have the roots buried at more than 5 inches, in a hole at the
bottom of a shallow dip. The idea is, as you water over the summer the tip fills in
with soil that washes in and if teh roots are that well covered they won't freeze.

Ask me again in May and I'll tell you how many I've got left:-)

Liz