Old 08-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Jabber

Default overwintering

Help please on the best way to overwinter geraniums and fuchsias, do I cut
off all growth? last year after potting up carefully and keeping in an
unheated room I lost all the fuchsias but did keep a few geraniums.
Labour saving ideas welcome. Thanks

Old 09-10-2003, 12:36 AM
LizR

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:07:36 +0100, "Jabber" wrote:

Help please on the best way to overwinter geraniums and fuchsias, do I cut
off all growth? last year after potting up carefully and keeping in an
unheated room I lost all the fuchsias but did keep a few geraniums.
Labour saving ideas welcome. Thanks

Fuchsias, they reckon, you have to leave in the garden if they're hardy, as they do
less well in pots. Mine have the roots buried at more than 5 inches, in a hole at the
bottom of a shallow dip. The idea is, as you water over the summer the tip fills in
with soil that washes in and if teh roots are that well covered they won't freeze.

Ask me again in May and I'll tell you how many I've got left:-)

Liz

Old 10-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Spider

If your geraniums are the hardy, border type they can stay in the garden.
If they're hardy, but alpine protect in situ by covering with a sheet of
glass.
If they are, in fact, pelargoniums (regal, zonal, ivy-leafed, aromatic) then
they will not survive outside. Cut them back - especially if you have lots
as it saves space - keep them in a frost-free, airy room with good light,
and keep them on the dry side.
Treatment for tender fuchsias is much the same.
Spider

Overwintering Hyacinths Tbumpy Ponds 27 02-10-2003 12:22 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Overwintering plants don't do well? Polar Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 03:27 AM
passionflowers & overwintering Janna United Kingdom 4 10-11-2002 07:44 PM