Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Rosarosam

Default looking for a climber for a hot wall

Bonjour,

Some suggestions
- Alister Stella Gray. A noisette, nicely scented. Jaune doux se teintant
ocre en se fanant.
- Blanc Pur . Another noisette. Color as per the name.
- Lady Waterlow.
You will have to protect their feet in winter though.

You can find those, with plenty of others, on Andre Eve's catalogue
(Pithiviers)
http://www.roses-anciennes-eve.com/

Bon courage.
Jocelen
www.rosarosam.com

"Olivera Nowak" wrote in message
Hello rose lovers
I live in South of France (close to Toulouse) and have a garden since 3
years ; about 40 roses (bushes), mostly old varieties and a few David
Austin's roses which surprisingly to do very well in my climate. This

winter
I'd like to install a climber on the south facade of the house but can't
decide which one, so I'd appreciate your suggestions.
The wall is white, 2,5 m tall, 8 m large, so should be a small/medium
climber . it's exposed to sun from 10 am to approx 4 pm, so quite hot.
this wall is also close to a busy area, so the climber should not be too
invasive ;
summers here are pretty hot and dry here, while in winter the temperature
can be
as low as -10°C.
I was thinking of 'Gloire de Dijon', or 'Souvenir de la Malmaison

climbing',
but I'm not sure it they will tolerate such a hot exposure (because of the
white of the wall) so I'd appreciate advice from gardners living in

similar
climate.
Color should be white, pale yellow, apricot, pale pink, or anything that
will note fade in these conditions. and repeat flowering...!
how about Austin's for this purpose ?
A friend gave me a cutting of Cecile Brunner in its climbing version, but
I'm afraid it's too invasive for this little wall, and some say it flowers
only once in the season, what do you think ?
Thanks !
Oli (St-Cricq, France)