Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Olivera Nowak

Default looking for a climber for a hot wall

Hello rose lovers
I live in South of France (close to Toulouse) and have a garden since 3
years ; about 40 roses (bushes), mostly old varieties and a few David
Austin's roses which surprisingly to do very well in my climate. This winter
I'd like to install a climber on the south facade of the house but can't
decide which one, so I'd appreciate your suggestions.
The wall is white, 2,5 m tall, 8 m large, so should be a small/medium
climber . it's exposed to sun from 10 am to approx 4 pm, so quite hot.
this wall is also close to a busy area, so the climber should not be too
invasive ;
summers here are pretty hot and dry here, while in winter the temperature
can be
as low as -10°C.
I was thinking of 'Gloire de Dijon', or 'Souvenir de la Malmaison climbing',
but I'm not sure it they will tolerate such a hot exposure (because of the
white of the wall) so I'd appreciate advice from gardners living in similar
climate.
Color should be white, pale yellow, apricot, pale pink, or anything that
will note fade in these conditions. and repeat flowering...!
how about Austin's for this purpose ?
A friend gave me a cutting of Cecile Brunner in its climbing version, but
I'm afraid it's too invasive for this little wall, and some say it flowers
only once in the season, what do you think ?
Thanks !
Oli (St-Cricq, France)

Old 09-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Mike

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, "Olivera Nowak" wrote:
Hello rose lovers
I live in South of France (close to Toulouse) and have a garden since 3
years ; about 40 roses (bushes), mostly old varieties and a few David
Austin's roses which surprisingly to do very well in my climate. This wint=

er
I'd like to install a climber on the south facade of the house but can't
decide which one, so I'd appreciate your suggestions.
The wall is white, 2,5 m tall, 8 m large, so should be a small/medium
climber . it's exposed to sun from 10 am to approx 4 pm, so quite hot.
this wall is also close to a busy area, so the climber should not be too
invasive ;
summers here are pretty hot and dry here, while in winter the temperature
can be
as low as -10=B0C.
I was thinking of 'Gloire de Dijon', or 'Souvenir de la Malmaison climbing=

',
but I'm not sure it they will tolerate such a hot exposure (because of the=

white of the wall) so I'd appreciate advice from gardners living in simila=

climate.
Color should be white, pale yellow, apricot, pale pink, or anything that
will note fade in these conditions. and repeat flowering...!
how about Austin's for this purpose ?
A friend gave me a cutting of Cecile Brunner in its climbing version, but
I'm afraid it's too invasive for this little wall, and some say it flowers=

only once in the season, what do you think ?
Thanks !
Oli (St-Cricq, France)

Sounds ideal for any of the more mannerly noisette climber. Gloire de Dijon=

would be beautiful. Reve D'Or would also be quite nice, buff-yellow with a
strong fragrance and nearly thornless. Celine Forestier looks fantastic
when fanned out against a white wall and has some interesting color tones
which could be appreciated up close in the location you describe. All these=

roses flourish in the heat and would be a nice fit for your wall.=20

Mike

Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Rosarosam

Bonjour,

Some suggestions
- Alister Stella Gray. A noisette, nicely scented. Jaune doux se teintant
ocre en se fanant.
- Blanc Pur . Another noisette. Color as per the name.
- Lady Waterlow.
You will have to protect their feet in winter though.

You can find those, with plenty of others, on Andre Eve's catalogue
(Pithiviers)
http://www.roses-anciennes-eve.com/

Bon courage.
Jocelen
www.rosarosam.com

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Olivera Nowak

thank you Mike and Jocelen for your suggestions,
now I hesitate betwenn Alister Stella Gray and Celine Forestier, both look
wonderfull.
'Desprez à fleurs jaunes' too....
Oli

Old 15-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Theo Asir

I was thinking of 'Gloire de Dijon', or 'Souvenir de la Malmaison
climbing',
but I'm not sure it they will tolerate such a hot exposure (because of the
white of the wall) so I'd appreciate advice from gardners living in

similar
climate.
Color should be white, pale yellow, apricot, pale pink, or anything that
will note fade in these conditions. and repeat flowering...!
how about Austin's for this purpose ?

I'm afraid pale roses will fade in the heat there's no avoiding it.
The reds will get singed from the heat and look terrible.

Theres is an entire series of roses called Noisettes that
are ideal for slight frosts and hot summers as in the american south.

I grow Mme. Alfred Carriere, a white variety that takes
a year to establish but then becomes this wonderful wall cavering
repeat flowering scented climber. Tough and hardy.

Heres a link to a picture.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/mdealfredcarriere.htm
http://www.zanthan.com/gardens/garde...es/001032.html

See if there are any Noisettes available in you area.

As far as Austins go most have a terrible time in heat.
The petals drop quickly and they overgrow.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Need a climber for a north facing wall, to live in a pot DP United Kingdom 3 12-03-2003 11:00 PM
climber for south facing garage wall margo United Kingdom 0 05-02-2003 09:26 PM
climber for south facing garage wall margo United Kingdom 1 02-02-2003 01:30 PM