Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Ann

Default Need ID by sound in Mass..

"LeeAnne" expounded:

I can hear the one in the recording having the three syllable "katy-did"
sound - but the one in the trees here is definitely a two-syllable call, but
it has that same raspy, squeak, sort of quality vs. the trill of a cricket
or other grasshoppers

Hi, LeeAnne,

I haven't been reading wreck.gardens for awhile, and I just came upon
this thread. I know egg-zactly what sound you are hearing, I call
them the eh-eh bugs. They sing at night, faster when it's warm, they
sound almost like treefrogs but I know they're some kind of insect,
and they seem to sing back and forth to each other. I've wondered for
years what they are, too! I love them, they sing me to sleep at
night; they're right outside my back window, my back yard is an
oak/pine forest. I don't hear they at all up at our house in Maine.
If I ever find out what they are I'll definitely let you know!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA