Old 08-09-2003, 09:02 PM
LeeAnne

Default Need ID by sound in Mass..

OK, searching for help on what little info I can provide . . . night time
critter, a bug of some sort I believe, heard in the trees in the yard of a
house in Mansfield, MA. I live 45 minutes north of this house and I don't
have these and I have friends that live on Cape Cod and they don't have them
either.

Basically a two-syllable noise, sort of cricket like but not your typical
black cricket 'chuuurup' - they make more of a rickety wood sound, like if
you stepped on a loose board or if you had a sorta squeaky shoe.
"reeeh-eh reeeh-eh" - hard to tell if it's one making both syllables or if
it's two, each w/its own syllable answering eachother. Each syllable only
lasts 1-2 seconds. Very quick back and forth.

They are 100% definitely in the trees, not in the grass and they are fairly
loud. Usually I can 'google' stuff and find things out but I don't know
where to even start - I'm hoping somebody on here has 'em too.

TIA
LeeAnne

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay

Old 09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
LeeAnne

Hi Mark,

Oh yes we have Cicada's but around here they only (as far as I know) make
their noises during the day - that sort of high pitched buzz that they do.
If it were them at night too, I would also imagine I would hear them in
other places besides this area in Mansfield.

Hmmm
LeeAnne
"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Based on your description, could be a Cicada, but I didn't
think they ranged that far North.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Gary M

"LeeAnne" wrote in
:

Hi Mark,

Oh yes we have Cicada's but around here they only (as far as I know)
make their noises during the day - that sort of high pitched buzz that
they do. If it were them at night too, I would also imagine I would
hear them in other places besides this area in Mansfield.

Hmmm LeeAnne

You say the interval is 1-2 secs. Do they slow down in these cooler
nights? The temperature can be told by counting the number of chirps in
15 secs and adding 40. That at least will confirm it is a tree cricket.
Perhaps this page might help you?

http://www.naturesongs.com/insects.html
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM

could be tree frog of some kind too

Gary M (xx=ry) wrote:

"LeeAnne" wrote in
:

Hi Mark,

Oh yes we have Cicada's but around here they only (as far as I know)
make their noises during the day - that sort of high pitched buzz that
they do. If it were them at night too, I would also imagine I would
hear them in other places besides this area in Mansfield.

Hmmm LeeAnne

You say the interval is 1-2 secs. Do they slow down in these cooler
nights? The temperature can be told by counting the number of chirps in
15 secs and adding 40. That at least will confirm it is a tree cricket.
Perhaps this page might help you?

http://www.naturesongs.com/insects.html

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"LeeAnne" wrote:
-snip-
They are 100% definitely in the trees, not in the grass and they are fairly
loud. Usually I can 'google' stuff and find things out but I don't know
where to even start - I'm hoping somebody on here has 'em too.

Once you get an idea, if it isn't on the other insectsounds page
someone posted, try
http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll

I was thinking Katydid & found a fairly good rendition through that
site;
http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walke...ok/w141_24.wav

Jim

Old 10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
LeeAnne

Hi Gary, thanks for the link - definitely NOT a tree cricket -- they don't
have that 'trill' quality that crickets have, but thank you for the
suggestion.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:12 PM
LeeAnne

I looked up frog sounds and can't find one that matches. The ones that I
tend to hear are the peepers in the spring time in the swamps.
But you never know....

Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 PM
LeeAnne

Very close to a Katydid, has the same tone & raspy quality, but only
two-noted and a little bit slower (but that doesn't mean all Katydids make
the same noise as that one was, I'll have to look for more of their sounds
online).

Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"LeeAnne" wrote:

Very close to a Katydid, has the same tone & raspy quality, but only
two-noted and a little bit slower (but that doesn't mean all Katydids make
the same noise as that one was, I'll have to look for more of their sounds
online).

If that one was close, I'd look further as it was the best that I
found after listening to 15-20 on that site, but it wasn't quite
'right' to my ears. You can definitely hear her/him saying
'Katy-did' once you put the sound to the insect.

This one is better, but still not quite . . .
http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?...alAudioID=8189

Maybe my upstate NY Katydids have a different accent than these
folks'.g

Old 11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
LeeAnne

Hi Jim,
Thank you for helping me try and ID this critter.

I can hear the one in the recording having the three syllable "katy-did"
sound - but the one in the trees here is definitely a two-syllable call, but
it has that same raspy, squeak, sort of quality vs. the trill of a cricket
or other grasshoppers

Argh - so frustrating! :-)

Old 12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
LeeAnne

It occurred to me yesterday afternoon while I was mowing my lawn that it
resembles the sound a Tufted Titmouse makes when it's kind of ****ed off.

I don't know if that helps.
LeeAnne

Old 15-09-2003, 01:42 AM
GaryM

"LeeAnne" wrote in
:

It occurred to me yesterday afternoon while I was mowing my lawn
that it resembles the sound a Tufted Titmouse makes when it's kind
of ****ed off.

I don't know if that helps.
LeeAnne

Hi LeeAnne, I posted earlier in this thread. I wanted to mention that I
was reading this week's New Yorker and by coincidence there is a
section in the news section regarding the IDing of cricket, and other
such insects. This was precipated by the fact that during the power
outage many city folks heard insect noises for the first time:

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...alk_paumgarten
Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Ann

"LeeAnne" expounded:

I can hear the one in the recording having the three syllable "katy-did"
sound - but the one in the trees here is definitely a two-syllable call, but
it has that same raspy, squeak, sort of quality vs. the trill of a cricket
or other grasshoppers

Hi, LeeAnne,

I haven't been reading wreck.gardens for awhile, and I just came upon
this thread. I know egg-zactly what sound you are hearing, I call
them the eh-eh bugs. They sing at night, faster when it's warm, they
sound almost like treefrogs but I know they're some kind of insect,
and they seem to sing back and forth to each other. I've wondered for
years what they are, too! I love them, they sing me to sleep at
night; they're right outside my back window, my back yard is an
oak/pine forest. I don't hear they at all up at our house in Maine.
If I ever find out what they are I'll definitely let you know!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Ann

LeeAnne, I found them! They're True Northern Katydids! Check out this article
from Boston.com
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/...cert_ series/
and then go to this page http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/whershberg/page/ and
scroll to the bottom. Is that what you're hearing? Thanx for sending me on
this journey, because I've been wondering about these guys for years! G

Ann (who should be working!)

In article , LeeAnne says...