Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Shiva

Default Preparing Roses for Winter in Zone 7

This is a great time of year to get some thoughts on this.

The problem is, variable temps and the possibility of

a. cold snaps in which the temps go from 70s to 20s and stay there a
few nights and

b. no real freeze at all, so that mounding with mulch induces canker
and other rot and fungus.

One thing to bear in mind is that in "my" zone 7, it is nearly always
very wet.

Do I protect or not? Should I actually remove the mulch to discourage
canker? The mulch has provided a great home to voles who have feasted
on my favorite roses. Some of my roses are babies--one and two-year
own-roots.

Thanks for any thoughts.