Old 10-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Roger Bennett

Default Age of rose cuttings

I've been lurking this newsgroup for a while now and I finally have a
question. Last spring, I successfully started two cuttings out of five from
an old rose bush in my yard (I'm guessing at least 20-30 years) and I'm now
wondering how long I can expect the starts to live compared to their parent.
Are they already as old as their parent root stock or has their genetic
time-clock restarted as if they were seedlings. Not that it matters since
they will all probably outlive me, but I'm really curious if there's any
research on the subject since the cutting starts are genetically identical
clones of the parent plant.

RGB
Zone 5 (OH)