Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Michael Berridge

Default houseplant reproduction - how?

May wrote in message ...
I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has

pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant

into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's

good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the

soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing

else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will

shoot
up?

Yes, the plant is developing its root system before a new shoot is
produced. I had the same with gloxinias from a leaf, the roots and new
little bulb were there for several weeks before any leaves appeared.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk