Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM
May

Default houseplant reproduction - how?

I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will shoot
up?

Old 10-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"May" wrote in message
I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has

pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant

into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's

good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the

soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will shoot
up?

Probably.
Let's play the guessing game: I opt for Kalanchoe

Franz

Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Michael Berridge

May wrote in message ...
I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has

pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant

into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's

good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the

soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing

else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will

shoot
up?

Yes, the plant is developing its root system before a new shoot is
produced. I had the same with gloxinias from a leaf, the roots and new
little bulb were there for several weeks before any leaves appeared.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jim W

May wrote:

I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will shoot
up?

Any chance of a posting a pic online?

//
Jim
Old 11-10-2003, 07:42 AM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote
"May" wrote
[...]

I agree with Franz's answer.
Your cutting will probably only start to show real new growth next
spring when the weather warms up, succulents usually go rather dormant
during the winter.
Jenny

Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g2mwdy.1sbgukc1etsqgcN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
May wrote:

I've absolutely no idea of the plant's name. It stands 14cm high, has

pink
flowers, is bushy, with thick squidgy leaves that are oval with very
pronounced scallops around the edge - and it couldn't be more healthy.

A few weeks ago I stuck one leaf taken from this 6-month old houseplant

into
some new indoor soil in a vain hope that a new one would grow. There's

good
news and bad because the leaf developed a huge root system beneath the

soil
but all you can see above the soil is the original leaf and nothing

else.
Am I being impatient and in another few weeks a lovely new stem will

shoot
up?

Not to a text-only ng like this one. Many (most) servers would simply
reject it.
You could post to one of the binary ng's and direct us to there by a note in
this ng.

Franz

Old 11-10-2003, 10:22 AM
May

I looked at a piccy of a kalanchoe and it could very well be that one.
Thank you for all the answers. Now that I know I've done it right, I'll
wait for the result - and maybe plant a few more leaves while I'm at it.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Jim W

May wrote:

[...]

I meant of course using a suitable facility not to this group. But
thanks for pointing it out Franz. Not sure why you clipped my post tho?
//
Jim
Old 11-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g2nyym.9y94lk1dmgc4N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...

May wrote:

[...]

My sincere apologies. It was an unintentional, crass mistake.

Franz

Reproduction rhiannon Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
reproduction of rarities P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
plant reproduction cra2 Plant Science 19 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
plant reproduction cra2 Plant Biology 3 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Reproduction Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 16-02-2003 11:45 PM