Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Michael Berridge

Default What a rip-off!!!

TheGardener wrote in message ...
I'm definitely dischuffed! I went to Tatton Park Flower Show in June,

and
bought three nice big Colchicum 'Waterlily' bulbs at £3.00 each.

Expensive,
yes, but they are so lovely when they flower, I didn't mind paying the
price. The trouble is, now that they've flowered - you've guessed it -

they
are certainly NOT 'Waterlily'. Nice as they are, they are just the

ordinary
single pink Colchicums which I could have bought locally for a fraction

of
the price. Even if I had thought to make a note of the Nursery who

sold
them to me (which I didn't), I think they felt safe in assuming that I

would
probably not be able to travel all that way north again to complain and
demand my money back. I'm sick of being ripped-off at Shows by being

sold
plants which are wrongly labelled. Has anyone else been had like this?

The only problem I see here is that your argument is with the retailer,
and not the organisers, same as in any dispute. Pity you don't know the
name of the nursery, but the organisers may be able to help you there,
then you can complain direct to the nursery. I would certainly advise
this way first, as going straight to a TSO seems like using a steam
hammer to crack a nut. I was sold a wrongly labelled plum tree, and when
I went back the the Garden Centre they couldn't have been more helpful.
The apologised, and even though they were not the growers or labellers,
gave me a new tree with no argument.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk