Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

I don't usually get involved in these "art" discussions, but here are my two
cents worth.

I tend to agree with those who consider bonsai an art. As someone mentioned
on the gallery, there are good, bad, and mediocre artists, but no mater
which category the artist's creation falls into, the fact that he/she is
creating art makes that person an artist.

Regarding the statement that bonsai can't be considered art because it will
change if left alone; bonsai is a unique form of art in that the medium is
living and ever-changing, and must be maintained constantly. I don't
believe that the fact that a bonsai will deteriorate if not kept up negates
the fact that it is a work of art. If I remember correctly the paintings on
the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel are (or were) flaking off and
deteriorating. They are only still there because of the intervention of
those who have stabilized and restored them. Does the fact that they were
deteriorating mean that these paintings are not art? I don't think so.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++