Old 31-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Shiva

Default More, Better Blooms!

I do the basic stuff for my roses--good rich soil, mulch that breaks down
and adds nutrients, a granular three-month food just at new growth plus
three applications of Mill's Magic Mix per year. (I may switch to Osmocote
instead of the generic granular "Rose Food" this year, Cass convinced me.)

Here is the question: can I have more and/or better blooms? My roses do
well, but when I look at photos of others it seems some of mine are scant
and some are small and some are scant and small. I know I can deadhead (I
do and cut losts for the table) amd pinch out side or central buds of gfs
and fbs, and I know some of bloom production is just "built in" to the
rose, genetically, filed under "vigor."

Is there a nutrient I can add that has proven for anyone to give more and
or bigger, better blooms?? I know Mill's Mix causes basal breaks--it is
joyously obvious--but what is sure to make MORE BETTER BLOOMS?! G

I think Bill Hillman said Fish Emulsion, and some of you use the high
phosphorus "bloom boosters," right?