Old 11-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

Lynn said:

With a lot of snipping of good stuff.....

Art is viewed by many philosophers to be a
Natural human activity that
everyone partakes of in some manner.

Clartissa Pinkola Estes, the Jungian Psychologist,
says every act of arrangement and placement is
considered a creative effort. That all humans create
art every day and that is is unhealthy stop doing
these things, no matter how little they are. She goes
on to say that doing art is as important to the human
psyche as elimation is to the human body. She
suggests a creative dump daily for optimum mental
health.

I think your conversation is worthwhile, but
not indicative of what is
happening now among those whose study is to try to
keep up with this human
activity. The language grows and changes so fast -
and the values,
qualities, functions and world-wide connections now
are almost impossible to
keep up with. I would lean to wider dimensions than
most that are
mentioned. What seriously applies in one art just
might apply to all - see
how widely the thoughts can stretch to include all
art then begin to find
the edges and dimensions.

I find much verbal communication lacking in the color
given by watching a person express themselves. I have
seen many of these types of discussions on the
internet. It becomes a very cerebral effort and, to
me, it begins to lack passion and life. It's a head
trip instead of a heart trip. I too have been guilty
of this type of communication. It is just an
observation and not a judgement.

BTW, I do call bonsai an art form, and
suiseki, and I wish I had a bit
of Wolfgang Puck's ability in his art, and will
wish for ever that I could
sing in the upper ranges of the musical world of
art. I totally failed at
ballet by the time I was 14. Our personal art
capability probably affects
our values and judgments. But, I only wonder or
question.

How about dancing? It too is a moving rather than
static art. Or the orchestration the life of a young
child? What about the journey rather than product?
Why does mankind feel it necessary to judge and
catogorize what others do with passion?

I would like to hear more about what art means to you
instead of what it should be.

Thanks Lynn,

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++