Old 11-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

From: Kitsune Miko
I would like to hear more about what art means to you
instead of what it should be.

--------------------
I did not mean to be saying what it should be! - only that I wish some
would extend their parameters, and that may be because I would like to see
bonsai included I don't mind saying why, but not with any "should"
attached !
Bonsai has a Japanese past that carried a metaphor - an ideal for
life, a reverence for nature. Metaphor is hard to nail down specifically,
but we know it was an admirable outlook. It was like an icon - not
comparable to those in some religion altogether, of course, but iconic,
nevertheless. It has an expressive substance. If we call our expressive
works art, then I want to call theirs art. But, it is a subjective,
really, not a logical or rationally argued notion I have. The idea just
resonates with my level of perceiving. I know Ernie doesn't feel that way
- since someone mentioned Ernie's viewpoint - but what very special concept
underlies his feelings, born out of his life experiences, I can't know, but
it may be greater in value than any I or others have, so I only wonder. In
the long run all we do is exchange life experiences that developed our
attitudes or perceptions, I suspect.
I asked -how does bonsai function - as art?
It seems to me to function in three ways, for Me - not everyone, and those
a It is expressive of an ideal (metaphoric), it provides artistic
beauty with elements that are universally considered to define beauty
(rules? and maybe most importantly, it stirs one to dedication,
devotion, discipline. In a nutshell it requires love.
And I do think it is a hobby if one feels that way about it. I seldom
use that term because I called golf my hobby and that simply doesn't
compare on some levels - I swear sometimes on the golf course, but will
grieve sometimes for a bonsai
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++