Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Perennials

We moved to our present house some 2 years ago and from a garden the size of
a postage stamp to one which takes up about half an acre - . I am having a
wonderful time gardening but there is an awful lot I don't know.

My particular problem at the moment is what to do with all the perennials.
Last year I didn't cut the dead growth back until the spring - in the belief
that I was protecting the new shoots from winter frosts and snow. It does
mean however that the garden looks very untidy throughout the winter and I
realise that I am possibly providing ideal conditions for slugs to hide.

So when is the correct time to cut everything back?

Jeanne Stockdale