Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Perennials

We moved to our present house some 2 years ago and from a garden the size of
a postage stamp to one which takes up about half an acre - . I am having a
wonderful time gardening but there is an awful lot I don't know.

My particular problem at the moment is what to do with all the perennials.
Last year I didn't cut the dead growth back until the spring - in the belief
that I was protecting the new shoots from winter frosts and snow. It does
mean however that the garden looks very untidy throughout the winter and I
realise that I am possibly providing ideal conditions for slugs to hide.

So when is the correct time to cut everything back?

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
JennyC

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
[...]

Either cut back sometime soon when things start to look tatty
OR fold the dead foliage over the crown of the plant to protect it
from the worst of the weather. It will also provide a refuge for
insects etc. You can then remove it in spring when stuff start to grow
again.

Jenny

Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jeanne Stockdale
writes
We moved to our present house some 2 years ago and from a garden the size of
a postage stamp to one which takes up about half an acre - . I am having a
wonderful time gardening but there is an awful lot I don't know.

My particular problem at the moment is what to do with all the perennials.
Last year I didn't cut the dead growth back until the spring - in the belief
that I was protecting the new shoots from winter frosts and snow. It does
mean however that the garden looks very untidy throughout the winter and I
realise that I am possibly providing ideal conditions for slugs to hide.

So when is the correct time to cut everything back?

There isn't a 'correct' time!!!!!
We too leave most of the dead foliage on the plant over winter - just
tidy up the bits, for example, that overhang the lawn.

We compost everything and at this time of year there isn't much room in
the compost heap. Next spring when we start to cut the grass, the dead
foliage of the perennials a) has dried up and shrunk in volume b) helps
to dilute the new wet grass clippings.

As you say, the foliage provides frost protection for the crown of the
plant.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Jeanne Stockdale
wrote:

We moved to our present house some 2 years ago and from a garden the size of
a postage stamp to one which takes up about half an acre - . I am having a
wonderful time gardening but there is an awful lot I don't know.

My particular problem at the moment is what to do with all the perennials.
Last year I didn't cut the dead growth back until the spring - in the belief
that I was protecting the new shoots from winter frosts and snow. It does
mean however that the garden looks very untidy throughout the winter and I
realise that I am possibly providing ideal conditions for slugs to hide.

So when is the correct time to cut everything back?

When you think about it and have the time and energy to act on
your thoughts.

Generally speaking, the word "perennials" is preceded by the word
"hardy", so you can hack away with abandon during the fall and
let the hackings compost during the winter. *Some* perennials are
on the tender side and need a degree of protection, but I think
that's better done with a mulch of dry leaves, say, than their
own top growth.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada