Old 31-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Cass

Default Black area on my new bare roots, should I be worried?

"Emil" wrote :

I noticed today on my "Tigress" bare root, some black spots.

The 2 branches with the black spots have no growth happening. But on the
other branches without black spots, you can see the rose growing. Should
I be worried?

Here are some pics of the black areas:

http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=4682

Emil, here's what I mean. You can see the new growth, which means it
is time to start hosing off the mulch. You can also see the black part
of the cane in the center, marked in magenta, which will die back down
to the bud eye that is breaking new growth (circled). This is not a
problem.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...oundedCane.jpg

Here is an example of a cordboard mulch collar. This is the same 10
gallon pot. It works in the garden too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ulchCollar.jpg

--
Cass