Old 11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

Good Day to All,

Lynn,

though I tend to fall squarely in Jim's opinion of Bonsai/Art,
and am pretty much concreted on matters of where Bonsai
/Tree Penjing lies in my "Art Universe",I always query this
debate to make Bonsai into ART.

Why?

It always feels like what someone on the Clayart list once
stated.Essentially - Art costs more than Craft.
So if you want to make money,push the angle that it is ART.

I am afraid I don't have a great deal of time to run around
stating to anyone that I am an Artist.I just do.

Bonsai/Tree Penjing is an enjoyable pastime,which can be
done commercially or as a hobby.There will always be those
who have more to give to the situation and they will spring up
anywhere.Some may need money,some notoriety,others
whatever.Each situation is highly individual and so is the
response.

I guess what ruffles my feathers is when you can sense that
someone is simply a fraud.Not sincere.

As to the great intellects that debate the changeable [ or
seemingly changeable ] nature of man,I prefer to leave the talking
/talkers alone and instead substitute - do.

I guess the reason the list goes quiet so often now is that most
of the general questions have been answered and the questioners
of philosophy in the group have either left or are partially
content.

For me Bonsai/Tree Penjing remains much the same.
I enjoy growing trees,and as a plus I can make the pots,stands
or the other companion pieces.
It's a -"cheap"- situation,from seed to collected or bought tree,
to clay to pot,wood to stands.This doesn't often happen in today's
world.
AND I am a cheap person - chuckle.

Stay well all you debaters,it's the wet season here in the West
Indies/Caribbean and my soils are spent.Awaiting the 2nd of January
for the grand repotting.
Khaimraj

*For the curious - We have had in the earlier days of the Bonsai
Society,Japanese onlookers offering $25,000.00 US for Buttonwoods
and they were refused.

I guess when you key up a culture to collect,they are easy to
manipulate.

Down here Bonsai is for those with lots of slow time,the older ,or rich and
idle.Very few young people last more than a few years,as family life
takes over.