Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
doug houseman

Default 3 weeks Expedition to Ecuador in 2005

When I go -

I put a days underthings in a ziplock and get all the air out. Then I
Duct tape it shut over the zipper. I put an extra pair of socks for each
day in their own ziplocks and get the air out...

I worry much less about outer clothes. Cotton is the best in my
experience...It can be washed anywhere and will wear well.

For boots - get Neats foot oil and oil them daily for 4 or 5 days prior
to going if they are leather - it will help keep the feet drier.

Good luck.

Doug

In article ,
dd wrote:

I went to Costa Rica two years ago. I agree with the previous posts
about "necessary items." I'd add these: diarhea medication,
water-purifier tablets, bandages and Bactine for cuts and blisters,
quick-dry clothing and underwear, a small bottle of laundry detergent,
more sox than you think you'll need (BTW, Thorlo socks are wonderful
and provide a lot of cushion if you're hiking), Afterbite for bug bite
itching, a cheap rain poncho, Ziploc bags, and a face cloth (some
hotels don't supply these because they are considered to be an item of
personal hygiene). By the way, doing laundry in some parts of Central
America is not easy and very expensive. Because of the humidity, it can
take clothing forever to dry--thus the recommendation for extra
socks--hiking boots and wet socks = blisters; sandles with no socks =
scorpion and chigger bites. If you sleep overnight in a jungle, be sure
to knock out your boots before you put them on in the morning--chances
are that a scorpion might be hiding in one.

BTW, it was the best trip of my life, and I'm a girly girl and not
inclined to discomfort or roughing it.

DD

In article nXzhb.67190$Ms2.7294@fed1read03, Wendy
wrote:

Larry, I say go!!!! But only if you have the legs? *G*
http://www.plantadventures.com/PastT.../DSC06048.html
I would go in a New York minute if it was guaranteed that I see the orchid
on the left of this photo!*G*

No, seriously, if you have the time & the money GO! I wish I could?
There must be a webpage out there with info on what to take & do etc.?
Definitely lots of photos, waterproof camera bag, extra cards if digital or
even a laptop with CD's
Bug repellant & water bottle.
Cheers Wendy

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

"Larry Dighera" schreef in bericht
.. .
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:46:43 +0200, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
wrote in Message-Id:
:

So what do you think and any tips what I should remember or think off.

You might contact these people about orchid hunting and its
requirements: