Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Charles Perry

Default Age of rose cuttings

Roger Bennett wrote:

I'm now
wondering how long I can expect the starts to live compared to their parent.
Are they already as old as their parent root stock or has their genetic
time-clock restarted as if they were seedlings....

...anyresearch on the subject since the cutting starts are genetically
identical
clones of the parent plant.

More tales than hard research to my recollection. Some of the cloned animals,
such as Dolly the sheep, were reported to show signs of acelerated aging among
other abnormalities. When it comes to plants, I recall reading that fruit trees
that were grafted from mature trees would bear fruit sooner than seed grown
plants of similar age and size because somehow the grafted branch "knew" it was
old enough to bear fruit. However, many seed grown roses as well as cuttings
seem to want to bloom right off the mark.

It is probably a non factor when it comes to roses. I have seen many, many
roses die, but none of old age.

It is an interesting question. I will ask my niece who does research at Davis
if she knows of anyone doing work on the subject. I probably won't see her till
Christmas though.

Regards

Charles
--