Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Serendipity

Default Beauty of Bath

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:24:31 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Edwin Spector contains these words:

I think I read that this variety fell out of favour due to its poor
(non-existant) keeping qualities. However, a colleague _might_ have an old,
condemned tree in his garden, so I may try grafting a bit. Trouble is
that he's
not sure of the variety.

The apple is, as I remember it, smallish, a sort-of creamy yellow
heavily streaked with red, radiating from the sharp end.

Someone on this group advised Bernwode Plants as a source
of information and supplier of fruit trees. I sent off for their
catalogues and their comments on Beauty of Bath are ...
" One of the most popular early dessert apples for well
over 100 rears, sometimes eaten as early as July. Small
brightly coloured fruit which is sweet when ripe but always
has plenty of acidity. Crisp and juicy eaten straight from
the tree but the fruit soon softens and will not store. Heavy cropper.
Good for cordons as the tree readily forms fruiting spurs."
A warning is given concerning frost damage as the tree
flowers so early!

The website may be found at ...

www.bernwodeplants.co.uk