Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM

Default zucchini blossoms

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:35:00 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

And as for pollinators, there are times you couldn't see our flowers and
fruit trees for the clouds of bees :-).

I am going to plant something else next year. I was hoping to get some
suggestions from this group as to what. Hopefully from those in similar
climates (Zone 5 - irrigation required).

Are you only interested in zucchini, or would any summer
squash do?

Judging by our experience with White Bush Scallop PattyPan
squash this summer (also Zone 5), they are very productive.

WARNING: the plant (ONE plant) got to be about 15 feet in
diameter. The thing was tremendous - reminiscent of 'Little
Shop of Horrors'. But it sure did have lots of squash.

Another warning: the squash are shaped sort of like a UFO
and it would be more difficult to peel them than to peel a
zucchini. I ate them without peeling and found them OK that
way, but some people might not like them for that reason.

I've read that this particular variety has identifiably been
around since 1722. Now that's an heirloom vegetable!

{at
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/