Old 09-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default zucchini blossoms

There was a discussion a while back about zucchini with blossoms all of
one sex or another. Most people complained that they had too many male
blossoms (apparently they come out first). I had the opposite problem,
almost no male blossoms at all.

My problem was with "Raven" variety, and I won't plant it again.

So ...

How about some discussion on which varieties have the most balanced
blooms and are therefore the most productive?

Please mention your location/zone when replying - thanks.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Steve

Larry,
Male blossoms from any other squash or pumpkin near by should provide
pollen for you Raven zucchini. Was the Raven the only squash you grew
this year?

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 10-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:

There was a discussion a while back about zucchini with blossoms all of
one sex or another. Most people complained that they had too many male
blossoms (apparently they come out first). I had the opposite problem,
almost no male blossoms at all.

My problem was with "Raven" variety, and I won't plant it again.

So ...

How about some discussion on which varieties have the most balanced
blooms and are therefore the most productive?

Please mention your location/zone when replying - thanks.

Initially, our Raven hybrids produced all male blossoms but after just a
week or so went on to produce plenty of females as well. They produced
steadily all summer long with an interruption by squash borers which we
fixed by the old fashioned method instead of using Sevin and killing all
the bees. I had a plentiful supply which continues (albeit far less
now) here in Missouri Z 5b. I am still picking a few and I imagine they
will not stop until the frost (we nearly had a frost--- 34°--- but we
got lucky). Lovely warm fall weather now and the garden is producing
fairly well yet. My zuchetta tomboncinos are much more lively but we
planted those in late august. I will definitely plant Ravens again for
their ability to produce in quantity over a long period, recover from
various stresses and for their lovely taste and dark green, unblemished
appearance.

Now I also highly recommend the tromboncinos but you'd better give them
tons of space--- up, down and all around. They produce like crazy,
rooting (HUGE roots lol) along their strong, prolific vines. They need
no assistance in climbing. I am going to try them with our corn next
year.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:35:00 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

And as for pollinators, there are times you couldn't see our flowers and
fruit trees for the clouds of bees :-).

I am going to plant something else next year. I was hoping to get some
suggestions from this group as to what. Hopefully from those in similar
climates (Zone 5 - irrigation required).

Are you only interested in zucchini, or would any summer
squash do?

Judging by our experience with White Bush Scallop PattyPan
squash this summer (also Zone 5), they are very productive.

WARNING: the plant (ONE plant) got to be about 15 feet in
diameter. The thing was tremendous - reminiscent of 'Little
Shop of Horrors'. But it sure did have lots of squash.

Another warning: the squash are shaped sort of like a UFO
and it would be more difficult to peel them than to peel a
zucchini. I ate them without peeling and found them OK that
way, but some people might not like them for that reason.

I've read that this particular variety has identifiably been
around since 1722. Now that's an heirloom vegetable!

{at
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 13-10-2003, 10:02 PM

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:57:16 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

We've always grown either zucchini or yellow straight or crook neck. The
"cucumber" shape is the easiest for slicing, breading, and deep frying,
which is the way we like them best. Is the taste of the patty pan types
different, or just the shape?

Pretty much the same taste. Just a different shape.

Pat