Old 13-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Françoise

Default Black-eyed Susan seeds

I live in Canada Zone 5 (different from U.S. zone 5). I have some rudbeki=
as, which are
perennials. I do not know their name. Two years ago I ordered some Totos,=
which were
advertised at the time as perennials. In the 2003 catalogue, they were so=
ld as annuals.
They died in winter and did not come back this spring. Last winter I plan=
ted seed in
the house from 2 other types: Marmalade and Prairie Sun Rise. The Prairie=
Sun Rise was
advertised as a perennial.

I wondered if I could spread the seeds of one type or two of rudbekia. Fr=
om your
answer, I will have to plant them in the house again next winter. But I m=
ay still try
to spread seeds since I would not lose anything by trying. Maybe one of t=
hem is a
perennial.

Thank you for your answer.

Fran=E7oise.

animaux wrote:

Rudbeckia hirta has many cultivars. Most of them require a warm soil t=

germinate. In my USDA Zone 8b, these are perennial. Since I don't kno=

w where
you are located, I would say to germinate these and expecting the same =

plant may
not be realistic. They may not come true from seed of YOUR production.=

Seed
companies have very rigidly timed crops, which are pollinated at certai=

n times,
and it's all very scientific to come up with viable, reliable to the cu=

ltivar,
seed.

I would collect the seeds, hold them in a paper bag, mark the bag, give=

them
about a month of refrigeration in your fridge and plant them in pots in=

early
spring. Early spring in Texas is February. You may have other climate
situations.

Key thing is, Rudbeckia hirta, the mother of all Rudbeckia needs warm s=

oil to
germinate, and by warm I mean about 70-75 degrees F.

Victoria

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:17:26 -0400, Fran=E7oise op=

ined:

Hi,

Is it good for any rudbeckia? I have some Toto, which are not perennia=

ls here.

I had 2 new rudbeckias this year. I think they both are perennials her=

e. They are
Marmalade and Prairie Sun Rise.

Fran=E7oise.

animaux wrote:

Break the seeds up and sprinkle them out there. They multiply rathe=

r readily
from seed on their own.

On 12 Oct 2003 14:11:04 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here=

) opined:

All my B.E.S. flowers are starting to fade and I was wondering - if=

I scattered
the seeds in and around a vacant lot they would produce new plants =

there in the
spring? Or should I bring the seeds inside, store for the winter an=

d plant them
in the spring?

TIA