Old 12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Black-eyed Susan seeds

All my B.E.S. flowers are starting to fade and I was wondering - if I scattered
the seeds in and around a vacant lot they would produce new plants there in the
spring? Or should I bring the seeds inside, store for the winter and plant them
in the spring?

TIA
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Françoise

Hi,

Is it good for any rudbeckia? I have some Toto, which are not perennials =
here.

I had 2 new rudbeckias this year. I think they both are perennials here. =
They are
Marmalade and Prairie Sun Rise.

Fran=E7oise.

animaux wrote:

Break the seeds up and sprinkle them out there. They multiply rather r=

eadily
from seed on their own.

On 12 Oct 2003 14:11:04 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here) o=

pined:

Old 12-10-2003, 08:22 PM
animaux

Rudbeckia hirta has many cultivars. Most of them require a warm soil to
germinate. In my USDA Zone 8b, these are perennial. Since I don't know where
you are located, I would say to germinate these and expecting the same plant may
not be realistic. They may not come true from seed of YOUR production. Seed
companies have very rigidly timed crops, which are pollinated at certain times,
and it's all very scientific to come up with viable, reliable to the cultivar,
seed.

I would collect the seeds, hold them in a paper bag, mark the bag, give them
about a month of refrigeration in your fridge and plant them in pots in early
spring. Early spring in Texas is February. You may have other climate
situations.

Key thing is, Rudbeckia hirta, the mother of all Rudbeckia needs warm soil to
germinate, and by warm I mean about 70-75 degrees F.

Victoria

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:17:26 -0400, Françoise opined:

Hi,

Is it good for any rudbeckia? I have some Toto, which are not perennials here.

I had 2 new rudbeckias this year. I think they both are perennials here. They are
Marmalade and Prairie Sun Rise.

Françoise.

Old 13-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Françoise

I live in Canada Zone 5 (different from U.S. zone 5). I have some rudbeki=
as, which are
perennials. I do not know their name. Two years ago I ordered some Totos,=
which were
advertised at the time as perennials. In the 2003 catalogue, they were so=
ld as annuals.
They died in winter and did not come back this spring. Last winter I plan=
ted seed in
the house from 2 other types: Marmalade and Prairie Sun Rise. The Prairie=
Sun Rise was
advertised as a perennial.

I wondered if I could spread the seeds of one type or two of rudbekia. Fr=
om your
answer, I will have to plant them in the house again next winter. But I m=
ay still try
to spread seeds since I would not lose anything by trying. Maybe one of t=
hem is a
perennial.

Thank you for your answer.

Fran=E7oise.

animaux wrote:

[...]

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:17:26 -0400, Fran=E7oise op=

Old 13-10-2003, 08:42 AM
gregpresley

someone gave me seeds (flower heads) last fall. I brought the seed heads
inside, kept them dry and tossed them out in mid-late April. They germinated
and started blooming in August. I'm pretty sure they will be perennial here,
but I'm not sure how long-lived. I'm in zone 5/6

Old 13-10-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

That's what I'd do. The seeds outside will not germinate till the soil warms
up. That's all I meant. There should be plenty of seed on each plant.

Victoria

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:34:32 -0400, Françoise opined:

animaux wrote:

Break the seeds up and sprinkle them out there. They multiply rather readily
from seed on their own.

On 12 Oct 2003 14:11:04 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here) opined:

All my B.E.S. flowers are starting to fade and I was wondering - if I scattered
the seeds in and around a vacant lot they would produce new plants there in the
spring? Or should I bring the seeds inside, store for the winter and plant them
in the spring?

TIA

[IMG] code is On

Miscellaneous Macros - Black-eyed-Susan.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 26-02-2010 09:35 AM
Miscellaneous Flowers - Black-eyed-Susan-2.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 18-02-2010 09:35 AM
black eyed susan Gordie Garden Photos 0 23-10-2007 09:39 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Black Eyed Susan [email protected] Gardening 1 15-07-2005 03:04 PM
Black-Eyed Susan regncyn Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM