Old 13-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Franz Heymann

Default funny fungus on compost (passion flower)

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
My passion flower has fruited for the first time, and the first fruit
ripened to a nice orange / red colour. I plucked it and squeezed the seeds
into a pot of ordinary compost, covered and watered them. After 3 days in
the cold frame, there are several 5p sized spots of white fungusy stuff on
the surface, over the seeds. I have removed the pot from the cold frame
where I have other cuttings. What could be the cause of this? Any action I
can take?

One usually allows the seeds from fruit like that of a passion flower to dry
thoroughly before sowing them.
Yours appear to have a mould growing on them.

There is a fair chance that the mould is growing only on the exterior wet
stuff associated with the seed as you sowed it, and that the seeds
themselves might possibly still germinate in time.

Franz