Old 12-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Zipadee Doodar

Default funny fungus on compost (passion flower)

My passion flower has fruited for the first time, and the first fruit
ripened to a nice orange / red colour. I plucked it and squeezed the seeds
into a pot of ordinary compost, covered and watered them. After 3 days in
the cold frame, there are several 5p sized spots of white fungusy stuff on
the surface, over the seeds. I have removed the pot from the cold frame
where I have other cuttings. What could be the cause of this? Any action I
can take?

TIA

ZD

Old 13-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Jim W

Zipadee Doodar wrote:

My passion flower has fruited for the first time, and the first fruit
ripened to a nice orange / red colour. I plucked it and squeezed the seeds
into a pot of ordinary compost, covered and watered them. After 3 days in
the cold frame, there are several 5p sized spots of white fungusy stuff on
the surface, over the seeds. I have removed the pot from the cold frame
where I have other cuttings. What could be the cause of this? Any action I
can take?

'Normal' contamination.. from air/water/compost the seeds themselves..
Let the pass keep it a little more ventilated for a while and hopefully
you will still get some plants..

Be aware though that Passiflora from seed are 'extremly' variable.
There's no garuantee that your seedlings will fruit or flower as well as
their parent plant.

//
Jim
Old 13-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
My passion flower has fruited for the first time, and the first fruit
ripened to a nice orange / red colour. I plucked it and squeezed the seeds
into a pot of ordinary compost, covered and watered them. After 3 days in
the cold frame, there are several 5p sized spots of white fungusy stuff on
the surface, over the seeds. I have removed the pot from the cold frame
where I have other cuttings. What could be the cause of this? Any action I
can take?

One usually allows the seeds from fruit like that of a passion flower to dry
thoroughly before sowing them.
Yours appear to have a mould growing on them.

There is a fair chance that the mould is growing only on the exterior wet
stuff associated with the seed as you sowed it, and that the seeds
themselves might possibly still germinate in time.

Franz