Old 14-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Sad Sid

Default Marshall's Experimental tomato; blight resistant?

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
remember.

Yes! I had four seeds, of which two germinated. I got six trusses of
gorgeous baby plum tomatoes off each. The skins were slightly tougher than
normal, but the flavour was outstanding.
I've kept some seed - but since they are hybrid and may not breed true have
also planted up all the detached side shoots in the hope of taking repeated
cuttings through the winter.... well, it's worth a try!
They aren't listed in the new 2004 catalogue.

Incidently, the best croppers and definitely the tastiest of the rest were
Tumbling Toms. I grew six of these in three hanging baskets in the
greenhouse. They are still producing delicious fruit right now and show no
sign of stopping. They easily out-produced the Shirleys and Gardeners
delight.

Oddly, the best of the Shirleys were produced on two "spare" plants planted
outside. Five heavily laden trusses of sun-ripened fruit off each.