Old 13-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Pam Moore

Default Marshall's Experimental tomato; blight resistant?

Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
remember.
They turned out to be a (very) small plum tomato. I like small ones
anyway, and these were very tasty and sweet, cropped well in spite of
neglect and did not get the blight which other adjacent plants
developed. I have saved some seed!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:47:56 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:
Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
They turned out to be a (very) small plum tomato. I like small ones
anyway, and these were very tasty and sweet, cropped well in spite of

Hi Pam,

I grew these to. Had a great crop - baby plum tomatoes - very moreish
straight off the plant!! ;-) Just eating the last few up, having bought
the last few indoors to ripen up.

Sarah (N. Wales)
Old 14-10-2003, 01:03 AM
Ant

wrote:

Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
remember.
They turned out to be a (very) small plum tomato. I like small ones
anyway, and these were very tasty and sweet, cropped well in spite of
neglect and did not get the blight which other adjacent plants
developed. I have saved some seed!

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam,

Unfortunately I didn't get any of those seeds. As, like you, I like
small plum tomatoes, could you please let me know the name and
catalogue number please.

I have spent a small fortune at our local Morrisons keeping myself
stocked up with small plum tomatoes prices varying between 79p to
£1.19p for a tray of some 6 - 8 tomatoes :-(

If you could reply with the details I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Ant

Old 14-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:50:54 +0100, Ant
wrote:

could you please let me know the name and
catalogue number please.

I need to contact marshall's. The seed came as "Experimental tomato"
so I don't know what they will be sold as for next year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Sad Sid

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
remember.

Yes! I had four seeds, of which two germinated. I got six trusses of
gorgeous baby plum tomatoes off each. The skins were slightly tougher than
normal, but the flavour was outstanding.
I've kept some seed - but since they are hybrid and may not breed true have
also planted up all the detached side shoots in the hope of taking repeated
cuttings through the winter.... well, it's worth a try!
They aren't listed in the new 2004 catalogue.

Incidently, the best croppers and definitely the tastiest of the rest were
Tumbling Toms. I grew six of these in three hanging baskets in the
greenhouse. They are still producing delicious fruit right now and show no
sign of stopping. They easily out-produced the Shirleys and Gardeners
delight.

Oddly, the best of the Shirleys were produced on two "spare" plants planted
outside. Five heavily laden trusses of sun-ripened fruit off each.

Old 14-10-2003, 12:42 PM
martin

wrote:

could you please let me know the name and
catalogue number please.

I need to contact marshall's. The seed came as "Experimental tomato"
so I don't know what they will be sold as for next year.

GM tomatoes. Thanks for your seed trial help
--
Martin
Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Ant" wrote in message
:

Did anyone else grow Marshall's Experimental tomato?
The seed came as a free packet with my seed order, as far as I can
remember.
They turned out to be a (very) small plum tomato. I like small ones
anyway, and these were very tasty and sweet, cropped well in spite of
neglect and did not get the blight which other adjacent plants
developed. I have saved some seed!

Unfortunately I didn't get any of those seeds. As, like you, I like
small plum tomatoes, could you please let me know the name and
catalogue number please.

I have spent a small fortune at our local Morrisons keeping myself
stocked up with small plum tomatoes prices varying between 79p to
£1.19p for a tray of some 6 - 8 tomatoes :-(

If you could reply with the details I would be very grateful.

Try "Vicki", they were experimental a couple of years ago. Are the new ones
the same or an improvement?
Anyone grown both?

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 14-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Pam Moore

Has anyone received a Marshall's catalogue yet? I've not seen one.
I've found the packet which contained the Experimental Tomato; it
gives the catalogue number 9892, but it may be sold with a different
number and a name this year, if it is put on sale.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-10-2003, 06:42 PM
martin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:42:01 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Has anyone received a Marshall's catalogue yet?

Their web site has a road up sign on it.

Old 15-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Has anyone received a Marshall's catalogue yet? I've not seen one.
I've found the packet which contained the Experimental Tomato; it
gives the catalogue number 9892, but it may be sold with a different
number and a name this year, if it is put on sale.

Pam in Bristol

I got two last week for some reason. I keep meaning to have one here at
work but I keep forgetting.

They have a new tomato with the pack for trial next year. Tomato Cream
Sausage. Golden variety with a plum shape. Outdoor one so I`ll give it a
whirl down the allotment.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use