Old 15-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Altered work of art

Lynn,

Good observations, I hadn't really thought about plays, musical
compositions, etc. that get changed and interpreted. I guess in my mind I
associate bonsai more with a painting or sculpture -- something that is the
same each time one looks at it, as opposed to a musical score or a play that
can change with the interpretation of the performers.

I know, of course, that a bonsai is anything but static and unchanging, but
when a bonsai is well maintained in the original style it gives that
impression to a certain extent.

I realize that when a bonsai becomes part of a public collection,
maintaining it in the original design may at times be difficult, especially
when unforeseen events happen -- the death of a major branch for instance --
which require a restyle to deal with the results of the event. But it is my
opinion that the curator should try, as much as possible, to stay with the
original design.

I too would be interested to hear what Chris may have to say on this.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)