Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Altered work of art

Chris,

Your post regarding the alteration of a work of art brings to mind a
discussion that took place on the list a few years ago.

Someone asked if once a bonsai, Goshin for example, became part of a public
collection does the curator have an obligation to maintain the original
artist's design and direction, or is he free to change it at will?

Some felt that the curator should maintain the tree as designed, while
others felt it could be changed and redesigned as the curator saw fit.
Personally I feel that the curator of a collection has an obligation to keep
to the original artist's design. After all, what would be the point of
having a composition like Goshin in a public collection, and then
redesigning it to suit someone else's artistic vision? (Obviously, a living
work of art will need constant maintenance, but the original design intent
can be maintained.) One might compare that to doing a major repaint on the
Mona Lisa to improve the painting. :-)

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Old 14-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Lynn Boyd

From: Roger Snipes

Chris,
[...]

Hi Roger,
I am glad to see you pick this up, and I do recall some of the past
posts, as you did.
Chris has had experience in close quarters with these situations, so
I am curious how it may look to him, and what he knows of it.
There is a lot in the arts of changes from the original, each time
a necessary or a natural part of the whole, so I really wonder how Bonsai
stacks up with it.
I mean changes such as in plays where the playwriter's words stay
exact, but the action of a character can make them imply different content.
Still, it holds together.
Same in music, the quality of the original might alter from
orchestra to orchestra. I am not sure of that, but I think it is happening.
There are renovations of old paintings that are on the second
renovation with more advanced techniques found to be "less" than the
original and then claimed to be returned to their original more closely,
some of those recently.
I am inclined to think paintings or photographs would be harder to
withstand some alteration for any reason other than loss of some original
part altogether.
Somehow someone must have had a reasonable solution for bonsai,
since it could be that a restyle was necessary in some instances.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Iris Cohen

The original Lars Anderson collection at the Arnold Arboretum are some of the
first bonsai in the US. There is a booklet they published about the collection,
in which they explained that they have maintained most of the trees in their
original styles, as much as possible. However, there were a few that they were
forced to restyle, for various technical reasons.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Day to All,

regarding Bonsai/Tree Penjing and the changes that
naturally occur with the passing of time,I tend to work
more with the idea of working towards a design,then
letting the tree/s free grow for a few years [this I base
on Horticultural health] and starting anew.

In the earlier issues of Bonsai Today I saw enough Kimura
make overs to be convinced that Bonsai/Tree Penjing are
essentially phoenixlike in nature.

I think that -living sculpture- requires a different type of
thinking and a new set of guidelines.So it's easy for me to
divorce the rules for say marble as sculpture or oil painting
or vitreous enamels from trees.

This is where the change or newness of concept starts.

A perfectly designed Bonsai/Tree Penjing can only exist for
me as a holograph [digital image with today's present
technology].
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

Old 14-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Ab Demmendal

Roger I missed that discussion about altering Goshin for instance.
What we all seem to forget in the discussion on art yes or no is the fact
that bonsai is a living piece of nature put in a container by us.
As the late Hideo Kato use to say :"the moment you put a tree in a container
you are responsible for it". So this means that we first and for all should
respect it as a living beiing and it natuarally changes through the years.
Art or no art if the curator responsible for Goshin wants to maintain Goshin
the way it is intended by the creator (in my opinion the correct way ,also a
matter of respect however now for the creator ).
As history of some old Japanese masterpieces learns us this can only be done
for a couple of decades if correctly cared for the bonsai (as it stays
vigorous and grows on and on and pruning cannot maintain the original shape
after that period give or take a decade).Than inevitably restyling will be
neccesary ( isn't that also one of the interesting things in bonsai? that
it's never definately finished?).At that moment the respect for the original
creator is less important than respect for the tree and try to make it as
beautifully as possible without harming it's condition.
So if it's art or not is not that important because whether we like it or
not it is only temporarely; in the most positive situation a works of art
changes in a new works of art.
Greetz
Ab Demmendal
the Netherlands

Old 15-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Roger Snipes

Lynn,

Good observations, I hadn't really thought about plays, musical
compositions, etc. that get changed and interpreted. I guess in my mind I
associate bonsai more with a painting or sculpture -- something that is the
same each time one looks at it, as opposed to a musical score or a play that
can change with the interpretation of the performers.

I know, of course, that a bonsai is anything but static and unchanging, but
when a bonsai is well maintained in the original style it gives that
impression to a certain extent.

I realize that when a bonsai becomes part of a public collection,
maintaining it in the original design may at times be difficult, especially
when unforeseen events happen -- the death of a major branch for instance --
which require a restyle to deal with the results of the event. But it is my
opinion that the curator should try, as much as possible, to stay with the
original design.

I too would be interested to hear what Chris may have to say on this.

Old 23-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Roger Snipes

Ab,

I think we are in agreement here. I feel that the curator of a collection
should do his or her best to maintain a bonsai in the design of the artist
who created it. I agree, however, that over time the design will evolve and
may even need to be drastically changed, whether due to normal growth on the
part of the tree, or other events that may occur.

Old 29-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Alan Walker

Please pardon my late response on this thread.
For another perspective on this issue, you should read the editorial, The
Kiss of Death, by Doug Roth in the current issue of the Journal of Japanese
Gardening (JOJG, Sept/Oct 2003, p. 3). Mr. Roth asserts that, "Historical
preservation is the kiss of death for a Japanese garden." He explains that if
historic preservation is a garden owner's sole objective, it means that the owners
are no longer trying to improve it and are simply trying to "preserve" it or return
it to a former state. "If they truly wanted a great garden, they'd be thinking
about future glory and taking actions to move in that direction."
Roth notes that there is value in historic preservation, such as for
architecture, but it is not usually appropriate for gardens, because of the fact
that a garden is alive and in a never ending state of flux. "With skilled care a
garden gets better; with poor care it deteriorates. In Japan old gardens are
regularly rebuilt, repaired, and reshaped, often to improve the appearance. He
derides most cases of historic preservation for living things as "an uninspired,
ill-fated approach."
I would submit that Roth's logic is generally persuasive when applied to
bonsai as well. Just as the most skilled bonsai artists strive for excellence and
hope to improve their bonsai routinely, those who manage public collections should
have the flexibility to pursue the best design for a donated bonsai, just as the
donor would have done. A curator should regularly consult with other bonsai artists
(especially the donor artist, if possible) about design and maintenance plans for
individual bonsai. (S)he should also possess a self awareness of his/her design
biases and avoid making all the bonsai in the collection look like their own.
Beyond that, they need to be free of rigid constraints of trying to maintain a
design plan for a specific bonsai from a specific point of time. To do otherwise is
unrealistic and detrimental to the health and design quality of the bonsai.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
====================================
Roger Snipes wrote:
Ab,
I think we are in agreement here. I feel that the curator of a collection should do
his or her best to maintain a bonsai in the design of the artist who created it. I
agree, however, that over time the design will evolve and may even need to be
drastically changed, whether due to normal growth on the part of the tree, or other
events that may occur.
Regards, Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
So this means that we first and for all should respect it as a living being
and it naturally changes through the years. Art or no art if the curator responsible
for Goshin wants to maintain Goshin the way it is intended by the creator (in my
opinion the correct way , also a matter of respect, however now for the creator ).
As history of some old Japanese masterpieces learns us this can only be done
for a couple of decades if correctly cared for the bonsai (as it stays vigorous and
grows on and on and pruning cannot maintain the original shape after that period
give or take a decade). Then inevitably restyling will be necessary (isn't that also
one of the interesting things in bonsai? that it's never definitely finished?). At
that moment the respect for the original creator is less important than respect for
the tree and try to make it as beautifully as possible without harming it's
condition.
So if it's art or not is not that important because whether we like it or
not it is only temporary; in the most positive situation a works of art changes in a

Old 29-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Huzzah! Hurrah! Hurray! Rah! Yippee! Hot diggity! Banzai!
Hoch! and Vive! ;-)

Makes good sense.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." - "Borrowed" from a sig
by fellow Home-Ease listowner, Scott Peterson

[...]

An accidental art work - DSC_4987b.jpg (1/1) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 4 26-09-2011 06:13 PM
An accidental art work - DSC_4987b.jpg (0/1) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 26-09-2011 12:34 AM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
[IBC] [Re] (IBC) Altered work of ar... also, news from Chicago Chris Cochrane Bonsai 1 30-10-2003 04:02 AM
[IBC] Altered work of art [#Was: Maybe we should ask a different question] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 14-10-2003 01:42 AM