Old 15-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Robert

Default New Member Saying Hello

: Hi everyone! I was browsing through the internet seeing if there were
: any gardening forums...and I found this one!
: I'm Gill,35 years old, married to Neil and I've been gardening on and
: off since I was about 5 years old.
: When I was young I had my own tiny patch in the corner of my dad's
: garden in which I used to grow all the easy stuff like
: candytuft,nasturtiums etc. Then when I left home I had a second-floor
: flat so was restricted to houseplants...my indoor jungle!
: But when I met Neil in 1997 he had a ground-floor flat with a
: tiny(15ft X 12ft!) front garden and I took over that when I moved
: in!!! I mostly grew cottage garden plants but as we were just 100ft
: or so from the sea front it was rather windy at the best of
: times....anything taller than a couple of feet just blew over...or
: grew horizontally!!! Then in April 2002 we moved to our current
: address which is a couple of miles inland and I now have a back
: garden which is 25ft X 15ft. It was mostly lawn(with an awful lot of
: moss,creeping buttercup and dandelion!)as the previous couple hated
: gardening. I added a border around the edges and grew mostly annuals
: and a few perennials that my father-in-law gave me to give it a bit
: of quick colour whilst we were busy sorting out the interior of the
: house!
: This summer it hasn't looked too bad and I've realised where I need
: to add a few things to give more impact/interest etc and I'm already
: planning next years show!
: As well as my all-consuming interest in gardening I also enjoy
: reading, writing long letters to penfriends,painting & sketching,keep
: fit, listening to classical music,visiting National Trust properties
: and gardens for ideas and going for long walks in the countryside. I
: used to do a lot of birdwatching a few years ago as well but after an
: unfortunate incident with a weirdo(!!!) I don't get to do as much as
: before....still retain a keen interest in the natural world though!
: I'm a member of the RHS, Cottage Garden Society, Hardy Plant Society
: and the Saintpaulia & Houseplant Society. I also belong to a couple of
: art societies.
: I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this forum and look forward to many
: happy hours of posting!!!

You're very welcome I'm sure