Old 15-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | I've only just seen this post. Would the famous Holboellia fit

the OP's
| | requirements, Nick?
|
| Dunno. Mine was quite happy with last winter, which was mild and
| dropped to only -8 Celcius. But I haven't got any flowers yet,
| as they have always been frosted. It is quite likely that it is
| another plant that is leaf hardy over a much larger range than it
| is flower hardy!
|
| We got down to -7 last year and still had flowers this year, though

possibly
| not as many as in previous years.

It wasn't the -8 that caused the trouble, but the late frosts of
-1 to -3 that did. One of them also took out all the flower buds
on my wisteria.

The local experience in Wensleydale is also that it is not the hard frost
during the dormant season which does most harm, but the lighter, later
frosts which puts paid to new growth.

Franz