Old 15-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Dorset, UK
Default Fast Growing Evergreen Climber??? Any suggestions

I'm putting a trellis on top of an existing fence and along part of a wall and I want something that doesn't turn into twigs in the winter but is still well covered.

Is bougainvillea evergreen and is it quite vigourous?

Many thanks for helping a newbie
Old 15-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
AndreaL writes:
| I'm putting a trellis on top of an existing fence and along part of a
| wall and I want something that doesn't turn into twigs in the winter
| but is still well covered.
|
| Is bougainvillea evergreen and is it quite vigourous?

Yes, and yes, very. Is it hardy? No, not at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Franz Heymann

"AndreaL" wrote in message
s.com...
I'm putting a trellis on top of an existing fence and along part of a
wall and I want something that doesn't turn into twigs in the winter
but is still well covered.

Is bougainvillea evergreen and is it quite vigourous?

Many thanks for helping a newbie

Bougainvillea is evergreen
But it is not hardy at all. In fact, it does not like it below about 40 deg
F, which is still well above freezing point.

Franz

Old 15-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | I've only just seen this post. Would the famous Holboellia fit the OP's
| | requirements, Nick?
|
| Dunno. Mine was quite happy with last winter, which was mild and
| dropped to only -8 Celcius. But I haven't got any flowers yet,
| as they have always been frosted. It is quite likely that it is
| another plant that is leaf hardy over a much larger range than it
| is flower hardy!
|
| We got down to -7 last year and still had flowers this year, though possibly
| not as many as in previous years.

It wasn't the -8 that caused the trouble, but the late frosts of
-1 to -3 that did. One of them also took out all the flower buds
on my wisteria.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | I've only just seen this post. Would the famous Holboellia fit

the OP's
| | requirements, Nick?
|
| Dunno. Mine was quite happy with last winter, which was mild and
| dropped to only -8 Celcius. But I haven't got any flowers yet,
| as they have always been frosted. It is quite likely that it is
| another plant that is leaf hardy over a much larger range than it
| is flower hardy!
|
| We got down to -7 last year and still had flowers this year, though

possibly
| not as many as in previous years.

It wasn't the -8 that caused the trouble, but the late frosts of
-1 to -3 that did. One of them also took out all the flower buds
on my wisteria.

The local experience in Wensleydale is also that it is not the hard frost
during the dormant season which does most harm, but the lighter, later
frosts which puts paid to new growth.

Franz

Old 15-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| It wasn't the -8 that caused the trouble, but the late frosts of
| -1 to -3 that did. One of them also took out all the flower buds
| on my wisteria.
|
| The local experience in Wensleydale is also that it is not the hard frost
| during the dormant season which does most harm, but the lighter, later
| frosts which puts paid to new growth.

Yes. The worst frost I have seen in Cambridge was following a long
warm spell in February. It wasn't all that bitter, but there was
a week of continual freezing winds. I lost a pyracantha and a
Lonicera periclymenum!

Relatively few things died in the coldest spells, even though the
ground froze 4" inches down, when they were in the depths of winter.

I reckon to lose the wisteria flowers one year in two, even now,
with the warm winters we have been seeing. And it is always the
late frosts that do it, never the early ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.