Old 15-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Jane Ransom

Default which compost for rockeries

In article , Robertsnpt
writes
Im building a rockery ...Our soil is like clay. Which compost should i use to
help breAk it up.T here are so many different sorts.!

What we do is dig out the clay completely so that we have pockets. We
then fill these pockets with a mix of seivedsoil/pottingcompost/grit/san
d/ericaceouscompost in varying proportions depending upon which plant we
are going to plant in a particular pocket. Initially we tried mixing
sand and compost with the clay but it never made a free draining enough
mix for most of the alpine type plants that 'go' in a rockery
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.